Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Petal cowl pattern

A while ago, I made a post about some swatches that I was developing into patterns. Well, today I am publishing the first of my crazy stripe patterns.

Petal is a cowl designed to highlight the color shifts of a self striping yarn. The stich shapes are inspired by flower petals, fish scales, and vintage crochet afghans. A great summer knit, or a cold weather project when made in heavy yarn. A unique stitch is used to create an extra long chevron motif which set this cowl apart.
 


Finished Size: 10” (26cm) wide and 40” (100cm) around.

Yarn: 1 skein of Noro Taiyo Sock (shown in color 59), Silk Garden Sock or 462 yards of self striping fingering weight yarn. Gauge can be adjusted to work with any weight yarn.

Needles: Size 5 (3.75mm) 32”circular needles, or size needed to obtain gauge.

Gauge: 36 sts and 18 rounds in patt = 5 x 5” (12.5 x 12.5 cm) square.

Other Materials: 1 marker, sewing needle, pins, damp cloth, and iron for blocking.

Instructions are for fingering weight yarn, but are adjustable for any stitch count or gauge. I cannot wait to make this in Kureyon for winter.



It started with this swatch.
 


The swatch seemed a little flat and boring in just 2 colors, so I did up a little sketch of a more  interesting variation to be made in self striping yarn.



After the sketch, I decided to look for some Noro Taiyo, a cotton blend which I happened to find in the middle of a birthday celebration for a friend. Yes, I am that bad friend who passes the yarn store on the way to the bar and just needs to stop. For anyone in the NYC area, I would recommend a trip to Downtown Yarns. They had this great colorway (59) of Taiyo Sock.


This sample only took 4 days to make because I was so motivated to finish it before the other 6 patterns in the series - it was the last one that I designed.

If you like this pattern you can get it here, or visit the Ravelry pattern page.

2 comments:

  1. This is so stunning! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it'd be so fun to knit. Be awesome just to revel in the process of knitting. Can't help but imagine what it would look like as a blanket.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like...